The Volokh Conspiracy has an informative post on where the various possible Presidential candidates stand on the gun rights. Especially after Giuliani’s recent anti-gun statement, we need to look harder at pro-gun candidates for President. A friend of ours, Tom, is from New York City and thought Giuliani would back off his anti-gun stance once he moved beyond the NYC stage, but it looks like his idea of the Second Amendment is that it protects hunting.
Take a look at these candidates web sites, and lets at very least get them some notice.
Top tier. Nearly perfect pro-Second Amendment records:
- Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kansas)
- Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas)
- Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.)
- Former Gov. Jim Gilmore (R-Vir.)
- Former Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-Ark.)
Very good. Not a perfect record, but still a very positive one overall:
- Gov. Bill Richardson (D-N.M.)
- Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.)
- Former Gov. Tommy Thompson (R-Wisc.)
- Former Rep. Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.)
- Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.)
Now I don’t know where these guys stand on the other issues, but they certainly deserve some further investigation.