Ceska zbrojovka Uhersky Brod, commonly referred to as CZ, bought Dan Wesson Firearms in 2005. CZ produces some of the finest rifles and pistols in the world and their customer service is absolutely outstanding. I currently own a number of their products and will surely own more in the future.
The pistol at the right is the Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail. If you are interested in a Model 1911 for personal defense, especially for concealed carry, this is my current pick. It is exceptionally well made, has all the proper features, can be had for less money than most of it’s competition, and is backed by CZ.
- Round top slide with fixed 3 dot tritium night sights
- Forged, one piece match grade barrel and bushing.
- Ed Brown Bobtail mainspring housing
- 20 LPI checkered front strap
- Hand polished flat surfaces with contrasting bead blasted rounds
- Beveled magwell
- All sharp edges dehorned by hand
- Lowered and flared ejection port
- Ed Brown memory groove grip safety
- Ed Brown slide stop
- Tactical, extended thumb safety
- Commander style match hammer
- Match grade sear
- Aluminum trigger with stainless bow
- Extended serrated magazine catch
- Wolff springs used exclusively
- Diamond checkered coco-bolo grips
- Tuned, machined, internal extractor
- Test fired for reliability
- 34 ounces unloaded
- Available in .45 ACP or 10 mm
The factory trigger action is very good, breaking crisply at three and one half pounds on the one I have with minimal take up and no perceptible creep. It shot wonderfully right out of the box and is certainly more accurate than it’s operator.
It is too early to be sure, but I will likely make only minor changes to the weapon. First, the checkering on the front strap is a bit course, so I will probably smooth it out a little. Second, I may install a short trigger and slimline grips to improve control. A 1911 can be a bit large in the butt for someone with small hands, and since I shoot one handed by necessity, the added control is welcome. These modifications are certainly not needed, the gun is quite pleasant as delivered, but I am a tinkerer by nature and so I will see what I can tinker with. Range reports will follow.